TEXAS SOCIETY OF MAYFLOWER DESCENDANTS
"The Hardships Endured in Establishing Plymouth Colony"
The Texas Society of Mayflower descendants will be offering three scholarships to qualified graduating seniors who will be attending a school of higher learning in the fall of 2021. The 1st place scholarship will be in the amount of $5,000. The 2nd place scholarship will be in the amount of $2020, and the 3rd place scholarship will be in the amount of $1620. The scholarship funds will be paid directly to the school in which the student is accepted/enrolled.
The Texas Society of Mayflower Descendants (TXSOMD) Scholarship has been established to assist deserving descendants of TXSOMD members in acquiring a higher education, with a view to their becoming better prepared for life and citizenship. In the spirit of the Mayflower settlers seeking to better themselves by moving to a new and uncharted world, special consideration will be given to applicants who have demonstrated commitment to bettering themselves and who will likely benefit from a scholarship.
To Whom Given:
1. Texas graduating high school seniors accepted for enrollment in an accredited institution of higher learning either in Texas or Out-of-state (college, university, community college). The graduate may hold a Texas Junior Mayflower membership number, or have a parent or grandparent who is a current verifiable member in good standing of the Texas Society of Mayflower Descendants. The applicant must share the Mayflower bloodline.
2. Amount of scholarship awards: First Place Winner: $5,000, Second Place Winner: $2020, and a 3rd place winner: $1620. 3. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the college, university, or community college where the graduating senior students have been accepted for enrollment. The awards will go to assist in the payment of tuition fees. 4. If a student selected for the scholarship fails to enter the school of his/her choice of higher learning, then he or she shall forfeit the scholarship. If the First Place Winner does not go on to college, the Second Place Winner will advance to First Place and the Third Place Winner will advance to Second Place. Further if a Second Place Winner does not go on to college, the Third Place Winner will advance to Second Place Winner .
Qualifications for Scholarship
An applicant must:
1. Be a U.S. Citizen and must include in the application a copy of birth certificate or passport.
2. Hold junior membership in the Mayflower Society or have a parent/grandparent who is a current member of the Texas Society Mayflower Descendants (TXSOMD) and provide Texas state membership number. Documentation is required with National and State numbers. The applicant must share the Mayflower bloodline.
3. Be in the 60th percentile or higher on SAT or ACT (provide copy of scores).
4. Be a resident of the state of Texas and show proof of residence (examples: (1) Current U.S. Passport,(2) Texas driver's license, or (3) High School Student l.D.).
5. A GPA or 3.0 or higher based on a 4 point scale . (Copy of original record transcript showing GPA).
6. Properly complete and submit Application Form.
Applicant Guidelines to follow: "A Must Do List for all Student Applicants."
1. Submit documentation for information noted on Eligibility criteria: birth certificates, proof of residence, GPA/Grades/SAT and or ACT scores.
2. Submit application by January 31, 2021.
3. Distribute recommendation form to one academic teacher (math, science, social studies, or English). (See Attachment 2)
4. Distribute the Character Recommendation form to one person other than family.
5. Write an essay of 500-600 words and please attach to your application, with cited references. The 2020 topic for the essay is "The Hardships Endured in Establishing Plymouth Colony."
6. If selected as a finalist, the applicant may be interviewed by the Texas Mayflower Scholarship Selection Committee via telephone or Skype.
7. The scholarship recipient and parents will be invited to be guests of the Texas Society at the annual State Meeting.
8. Submit by January 31, 2021, the entire application packet (in one package) postmarked by deadline date by mail. (Incomplete or late submission will not be considered). Please include 3 copies of the application, as they will be distributed to the selection committee for evaluation. Send completed packet to:
Scholarship Committee Chairman, Texas Society of Mayflower Descendants
403 Aycock Lane
Riesel, TX 76682-2505
Some advice for potential applicants:
(1) Remember that the committee consists of THREE individuals who do not live in the same city in Texas. THREE copies of your entire application are necessary – when you ask for your references, please ask the person writing the reference to make 3 copies, and put all of them in a sealed envelope. The other two committee members can’t evaluate your application unless they have everything you have sent. (2) It is not advisable to wait until the last minute to begin. The information is always found online within the TXSOMD scholarship link by August at the latest. Note the deadline – as long as it is postmarked by the deadline, it will be accepted. (3) Choose your personal references carefully, especially the person writing the character reference. It is advisable to ask a teacher or an adviser, current or former, an employer (current or former), a church minister, a mentor (especially from community service you have performed), a scout leader, etc. It is not advisable to obtain a character reference from a personal friend. (4) Cite your references at the end of the essay. Submitting an essay with no references will result in an automatic deduction of points. DOUBLE-check your facts when you write your essay; misstating facts will result in an automatic deduction in points. (5) When you list your community service, the more specific you can be, the better. Describe EXACTLY what you did, and for how long.
Properly completed forms from all applicants will be evaluated by the Selection Committee. The Selection Committee will select the year's winner by March 1, 2021.
Only applications completed correctly and submitted in one package by January 31, 2021, deadline will be considered. Incorrect applications are discarded and no records are returned. Scholarships are awarded regardless of race, religion, sex, or national origin. The Selection Committee will notify the Scholarship Chairman of the winners. The chair in turn will notify the State Governor, and the State Treasurer.
The winners of the scholarship will be notified no later than March 10, 2021, by the Texas Society of Mayflower Descendants (TXSOMD) State Scholarship Chairman.
Evaluation Criteria: (Based on 100 points as shown below)
5-Points-Properly Completed Application.
10-Points-Academic Recommendation from an Academic Teacher (Math, Science, Social Studies or English). 10-Points-Character Reference from non-family members.
10-Points-60th percentile on SAT or ACT.
10-Points-GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4 point scale.
10-Points-Awards/Honors/Good Citizenship Awards/Leadership Position in school or a community organization (club).
15-Points-Community Service (Example: Church, Volunteer Work, Scouting, 4-H, Etc.,)
30-Points-Essay (500-600 words): The Essay must be TYPED, double spaced, using 12 point type.
Total: 100 Points